July Newsletter 2019
ATV Users Ticketed
From: Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Forest Ranger Highlights 6/17/19 – 6/23/10: T/O of Berlin, Rensselaer County, Law Enforcement: “On June 22, DEC's Central Dispatch relayed information to Forest Rangers from a hiker reporting several people with ATVs on the Taconic Crest Trail. The complainant stated the grouped planned to camp in a grassy area just off the hiking trail. Forest Ranger Hannah O'Connor determined the group was camping on the summit of Berlin Mountain based on information provided by the complainant. Ranger O'Connor responded via ATV and arrived on the summit early the next day. Five ATVs, tents, and camping equipment were found illegally on the summit of the mountain. Nine tickets were issued to the group for unregistered motor vehicles, illegal use of motor vehicles on state land, and unlawful camping within 150 feet of a trail.”
If you see illegal motorized vehicles (ATV’s, OHV’s, motorized bikes or other motorized vehicles) on the TCT call NYS DEC Ranger Hannah O’Connor at 518 414-4605 or DEC Dispatch at 518 808-5250 immediately.
Give as many details as possible: date, time, location, description of vehicle(s), plate number if any, etc. The sooner Hannah knows about the activity the sooner she can respond!
Having volunteered for 20+ years in various positions on the board, including president, outings and publicity chairs, Gayle Fountain has stepped down from the board. Gayle has been a mainstay for the End to End events, helping to organize, purchasing supplies, making breakfast for the participants before the sunrises, etc. She has always been a wonderful hostess and hosted numerous meetings at her house. The club has been fortunate to have Gayle as such a dedicated and active member!
Gayle…thank you and enjoy your retirement!!!
Would you like to help the club grow? Do you enjoy communicating with others about a great cause? If the answer is yes, we have a volunteer opportunity for you! If you are interested in becoming the new Publicity Chair, contact Martha Waldman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen Ross at email@example.com for more information.
Check the current Bulletin or the Outings page of the website for complete details, note there have been updates since the Bulletin was published. Also check out the Taconic Hiking Club Facebook page to see pictures from past outings! See you on the trail!
• Monday, July 8: Taconic Crest Trail--Rt. 20 to Tower Mtn. loop
• Saturday, July 13: TCT #3 - Southeast Hollow to Mattison Hollow in Cherry Plain
• Tuesday, July 16: Paddle Kunjamuk River
• Saturday, July 20: TCT #2 - Petersburg Pass to Southeast Hollow
• NEW DATE* Wednesday, July 24: Beartown Mountain, Stockbridge
• Wednesday, July 31: Paddle Somerset Reservoir
• Wednesday, July 31 (8/1 rain date) Ashuwillticook Rail Trail, Adams MA to Pittsfield (RT)
• Saturday, August 3: South Taconic Trail (southern end)
• Saturday, August 10: TCT #4 – Mattison Hollow to Robinson Hollow in Stephentown, 7 miles.
• Sunday, August 11* Albany County Helderberg Hudson Rail Trail & Corning Preserve to Watervliet Cycling
• Friday, August 16: High Falls Conservation Area in Philmont
• Wednesday August 21: Shaker Trail, Pittsfield State Forest, MA
• Saturday, September 7: TCT #5 – Robinson Hollow, Stephentown, NY, to Madden Road, Hancock, MA
• Saturday, October 5: TCT #6 – Potter Road, Hancock, MA to south end (Route 20 near New Lebanon)
• Sunday, October 27: Annual Banquet, Moscatiello’s Italian Restaurant