August Newsletter 2019
End to End Challenge scheduled for May 9, 2020
All potential volunteers and participants save the date! We will be posting more information about registration on the website and monthly newsletters this fall. For those of you unfamiliar with the challenge, the biennial End to End Challenge is a 1-day hike of 29+ miles, with over 7000 feet of cumulative elevation gain, traversing multiple peaks and hollows from Berry Pond in Pittsfield State Forest to the northern end of the Taconic Crest Trail at Route 346. Hikers are supported from beginning to end by volunteers of the Taconic Hiking Club. Participants who successfully complete the challenge will receive a Certificate of Accomplishment and a special “TCT 1-Day” patch. Participants who are club members will also receive the “Bloody Foot” patch. Obviously, this challenge is for very fit and experienced hikers!
Memberships up substantially
Memberships in the Taconic Hiking Club have increased by approximately 70 over the past year. These are not just names; I have met some of the new members on our outings; some have helped with trail work as well as leading outings! Welcome to all our new members!
If you are interested in helping to grow the club, the Publicity Chair position is available. In the position you would email notices about upcoming outings to local newspapers. You would also help organize setting up a THC publicity table at local events, like the Grafton Winter Fest. For more information contact Martha Waldman at email@example.com or Karen Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check the current Bulletin or the Outings page of the website for complete details; note there have been updates since the Bulletin was published. Also, check out the Taconic Hiking Club Facebook page to see pictures from past outings! See you on the trail!
· Wednesday, July 31 (8/1 rain date) Ashuwillticook Rail Trail, Adams MA to Pittsfield (RT)
· Saturday, August 3: South Taconic Trail (southern end)
· Saturday, August 10: TCT #4 – Mattison Hollow to Robinson Hollow in Stephentown, 7 miles.
· Sunday, August 11* Albany County Helderberg Hudson Rail Trail & Corning Preserve to Watervliet Cycling
· Friday, August 16: High Falls Conservation Area in Philmont
· Wednesday August 21: Shaker Trail, Pittsfield State Forest, MA
· Saturday, September 7: TCT #5 – Robinson Hollow, Stephentown, NY, to Madden Road, Hancock, MA
· Saturday, October 5: TCT #6 – Potter Road, Hancock, MA to south end (Route 20 near New Lebanon)
· Sunday, October 27: Annual Banquet, Moscatiello’s Italian Restaurant